Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Marathon Monday

I took this past Monday off of work to travel into the city to check out the Boston Marathon, I had never actually attended a marathon before so I had no idea what to expect, especially in 87 degree weather.  I'll start out by saying I am in no way a runner, granted I try but the idea of running 26.2 miles not only exhausts me, it terrifies me.  I am utterly impressed with anyone who had the courage to run and even more impressed that you finished with the high temperatures.  I got into the city rather early and weaved my way around the maze that was Boyston Street to find a spot at the mile 26 marker.
Once the runners started coming in I was immediately absorbed into the crowd.  The amount of support and love beaming from the sidelines was absolutely remarkable...

I saw runners collaspe in exhaustion, some in pure pain and some push themselves further than I ever thought to be humanly possible, making my first marathon incredibly inspiring and heartbreaking all at the same time.  It was an experience I will never forget and I highly recommend anyone in the area to check it out next year!


6 comments:

  1. I think inspiring is the best word for the marathon! It is such a great atmosphere. I have no desire to ever run it, but it always amazes how supportive ALL the onlookers are...even the drunk frat guys. I'm glad you were able to attend this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in total awe of marathon runners! As a novice runner, I have never been able to get past the eight mile mark. For those who can run 3 times that amount is just awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually always tear up at races! I've run a half marathon, and I think the cheering reminds me of running it. The tears are ridiculous, though. It happened last year at the Head of the Charles, and all of my friends made fun of me! I'm a big softie, so when I watch all these people rooting for the runners (who are working so freaking hard), I just lose it. So embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to go to check the marathon out. Unfortunately, I usually work on marathon monday and miss out. I like how you posted pictures to let us all see what you saw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was cool that you were able to be at the last mile marker to cheer everyone on. A bunch of my buddies I was in the Army with do marathons very consistently, and love them, I could go either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to see the marathon was always a tradition when I was younger. Its great to see other people enjoying going to watch and support the runners.

    ReplyDelete